Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Childish Gambino - "3005" (2013)


Wikipedia:
"3005" is a song by Childish Gambino from his second studio album Because the Internet. The song was released on October 22, 2013 as the first official single from the album. It was produced by Gambino, Stefan Ponce and Ludwig Goransson. The song has since peaked at number 11 on the UK R&B Chart and 76 on the Billboard Hot 100.

The video received a MTV Video Music Award nomination for Best Hip-Hop Video.

The album debuted at number seven on the Billboard 200 chart and number 12 on the Canadian Albums Chart, with first-week sales of 96,000 copies in the United States. This would be an 84% increase in first week sales in his home country, compared to his debut album Camp. As of April 20, 2014, it has sold 257,000 copies in the United States. Due to Record Store Day, the week ending April 20, 2014, the album peaked at number one on the Billboard Top Vinyl LPs chart, selling 3,600 vinyl copies.

Childish Gambino said that he wrote the song early in the morning, as he does with all the songs he considers his best songs. He spoke on the track's significance saying, "Everybody's like, 'It's a love song.' It's kind of an existential thing. I'm just really scared of being alone. When I was little, there was a big dog down the street. I was really scared of it. But when I was with my sister, when I knew I had to protect her, I wasn't afraid of the dog as much because somebody was there. I had a purpose...I kind of feel lost. I kind of lost that, I feel."

No comments: