Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Snoop & Dâm-Funk Release Self-Titled 7 Days of Funk




Wikipedia:
After an initial meeting, Calvin "Snoop Dogg" Broadus and Damon "Dâm-Funk" Riddick first paired in 2011, when the rapper-singer invited the funk vocalist onstage for a performance at SXSW. In an October 2013 interview with Rolling Stone, Snoop commented on their collaboration, saying: "We're the babies of the Mothership. I've had funk influences in my music my whole career. Dâm-Funk is cold. He's keeping the funk alive and I knew I had to get down with him."

Dâm-Funk echoed Snoop's sentiments as he elaborated: "These beats were made for him and he laid down some of the smoothest harmonies and melodies I've ever heard. It's hip-hop, but you can also hear what we grew up on, from Zapp to Evelyn "Champagne" King and Patrice Rushen."

Snoop also spoke about re-branding himself as Snoopzilla for this project, which pays homage to Funkadelic maestro Bootsy Collins who sometimes used the moniker Bootzilla, saying: "When I'm recording as Snoopzilla, I'm basically an offspring of Bootsy [Collins]. We're keeping that spirit alive with that tone, that delivery, that R&B/funk singing, like Rick James and Steve Arrington.

No comments: