Friday, October 4, 2013

Lauryn Hill - "Consumerism" (2013)


Time:
Lauryn Hill spent her last morning in prison Friday following a three-month stint for tax evasion, and she marked the occasion with a new single called "Consumerism".

The federal facility in Danbury, Conn. coincidentally rose to fame during Hill’s stay as the premise for Netflix’s hit comedy-drama, Orange Is the New Black, which first aired in July.

She pleaded guilty last year to not paying taxes on more than $1.5 million between 2005 and 2007. In addition to her prison sentence, she will spend three months under confinement at her home in South Orange, N.J.

Hill signed a record deal with Sony Music before serving time to help reduce her longstanding debt. The singer plans to release a five-song EP leading up to a full album.

Consumerism is part of some material I was trying to finish before I had to come in. We did our best to eek out a mix via verbal and emailed direction, thanks to the crew of surrogate ears on the other side. Letters From Exile is material written from a certain space, in a certain place. I felt the need to discuss the underlying socio-political, cultural paradigm as I saw it. I haven’t been able to watch the news too much recently, so I’m not hip on everything going on. But inspiration of this sort is a kind of news in and of itself, and often times contains an urgency that precedes what happens. I couldn’t imagine it not being relevant. Messages like these I imagine find their audience, or their audience finds them, like water seeking it’s level.

- Ms. Lauryn Hill

No comments: