Monday, July 28, 2008

Rock The Bells 2008

Sunday, July 27th
Merriweather Post Pavilion
Columbia, MD
Me and Ali got there at like 5pm, so I guess you could say we missed most of the acts. But we didn't miss the biggest. I was pissed that Immortal Technique had finished like two hours before though. First off, we saw Method Man & Redman. Not a huge fan but they put on a good show because they act so crazy. Method Man even did a flip into the crowd at one point. Plus they said they're shooting How High 2 at the end of this year, and coming out with a new album sometime soon.

The Pharcyde
came on and did the two songs I know by him "Runnin'" and "Passin' Me By" and some other stuff, it was only ok, so we went to go get some beer.

By the way, Mos Def is ridiculous live. He's just good. He played some shit from '99s Black On Both Sides, like "Hip Hop" and "Umi Says", and I remember "Undeniable" from True Magic and some parts from Black Star ("1,2,3, Mos Def and Talib Kweliiiii").

Before Nas we got up to go to the bathroom, and I happened to see Immortal Technique just standing there taking pictures with girls, with his two bodyguards behind him. I was not about to pass up this opportunity, so I went up and said "Hey man can I get a picture with you if I admit that you're the best rapper alive?" He just smiled and laughed a little, and Ali got a cell phone pic.

The night kept getting better and better. Nas first came out playing "Hip Hop Is Dead" but asked everybody if he could kick it old school and started playing stuff from '94s Illmatic. Then he just kept switching it up, pretty much doing like one verse from a song and then onto a new one, sometimes yelling up at DJ Scratch. He did "Street Dreams", "The Message", "If I Ruled The World", "Nastradamus", "Hate Me Now", "One Mic", "Made You Look", and more.

Last up was A Tribe Called Quest. Q-Tip did some new solo songs first, and Mos came out and grabbed the mic to spit a little. But when Phife Dawg and Jarobi White came out it got 10x better. They played everything I knew by them ("Vivrant Thing", "Check The Rhime", "Award Tour", "Buggin' Out", "Bonita Applebum", and when the drums came in on "Can I Kick It?" everybody was jumping up and down, Yes you can!). They did "Oh My God", "Lyrics To Go", and basically ripped the shit up. Good music.


Look out for Q-Tip's album The Renaissance (TBA 2008), Method & Red's Blackout! 2 - The Next Generation (summer 2008), and Mos Def's The Ecstatic (fall 2008).

No comments: